All-In-One Font License
This license agreement applies to all fonts purchased via justinpenner.ca and gumroad.com on or after 2023/01/24. For earlier purchases, see Desktop, Web, Ebook, or App license agreements.
By licensing and using a font (“Font Software”) from Justin Penner (the “Vendor”), you are agreeing to the following terms.
- The “Licensee” is the person or entity purchasing the license.
- The Licensee must agree to this license before the font can be used.
- Licenses are priced on the basis of company size. The Licensee must select a license that covers all people within their organization at the time of purchase, including employees, contractors, and temporary workers. This license does not need to be upgraded if the company size increases to a higher tier at a later date.
- Licenses are not transferable.
- Licenses are perpetual, unless terminated under the conditions outlined in this agreement.
- For the remainder of this agreement, “You” refers to the Licensee.
- The Vendor owns all copyrights and other rights in relation to both the glyph designs (“Font Design”) and software code (“Font Software”) of the font. You do not own the Font Design or the Font Software, and you are only licensed to use them in ways explicitly outlined in this agreement.
- You may distribute the Font Software to any number of “Users”, which are people within your organization.
- You must ensure that Users only use the Font Software in the course of their work for you.
Users may, in the course of their work for the Licensee:
- Install the Font Software on their devices.
- Use the Font Software to style text in any software application.
You may embed the Font Software into websites, applications, games, and documents that are published, controlled, and owned by your organization, except:
- You may not embed the font in an application where the end-user is able to produce their own creative work and/or choose the font from a selectable list of fonts.
- You may use the fonts in the course of the work you perform for clients.
- Clients cannot be assigned as a User, and must purchase their own font license.
- You must not embed the Font Software in any final product that you are making or developing on behalf of your client, until after your client has purchased their own license to use the Font Software.
Modifying the font files
- You may compress, subset, and convert the Font Software to other file formats.
- You may not modify the font’s name or any metadata relating to the Vendor’s name, copyright notices, or license information.
- You may not modify any glyph outlines or add new glyphs.
- All terms in this agreement apply to modified Font Software.
Publishing and distributing your work
- You may publish, distribute and sell any work that makes use of the font, so long as you comply with all the terms in this agreement.
- You may not publish, distribute or sell the font on its own or as part of a collection of fonts.
- You may not publish, distribute or sell any “alphabet products”, which includes any products that derive most of their value from the font itself.
Warranty and liability
- The font is provided as-is with no warranty of any kind. The font vendor (Justin Penner) is not responsible for damages arising from the use of the font.
- In any event where the law requires the Vendor to be responsible for damages, the maximum damages are limited to the amount equal to the fee that the Licensee paid for the license.
Termination and disputes
- The Vendor or the Licensee may terminate this agreement at any time if the other party has materially breached these terms. Upon termination, the Licensee must immediately cease use of the Font Software, destroy all copies of the Font Software in their control, and notify Vendors to do the same. The Licensee must also immediately cease distribution of any products with the Font Software embedded.
- The Vendor may audit the Licensee’s use of the Font Software from time to time. The Licensee agrees to supply any information requested by the Vendor for the purposes of confirming that the Licensee is compliant with the license terms.
- Any legal disputes will be governed by the laws of, and settled in, the Vendor’s jurisdiction.
If anything isn’t clear, or you’re looking to use the font for something that doesn’t quite fit into this license agreement, I’d be happy to help with any questions you have.